Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Thursday, July 19, 2018

RSN Whitework Button

I've brought out one of my Royal School of Needlework (RSN) class projects to work on: the Whitework Button "Scabiosa", designed and taught by the preeminent teacher, Jenny Adin-Christie. It would be so lovely to finish and wear it. The class bag was hanging on a door knob in my sewing room for way too long, neglected and ignored. Sigh....
I figured I would work every day on it and try to get one technique or section done each day. A lofty ambition, but sort of doable. The idea was to get myself working on it on a regular basis. Part of most techniques were done in class, but I still have a lot to do.

Here's what I've accomplished so far:  I finished the Beading (that little ring of holes around the center) and the four single eyelets also in the center (some of which you can see in the photo below). Then I stitched on the circle of pearls. In between the pearls and eyelets I laid down two layers of padding, basically a satin stitch in Floche, each in a different direction. Then a layer of French knots, some one wrap and others two wraps, to develop some contouring in the flower center.

Then it was on to starting the Slanted Satin Stitch Petals, two of which were already done in class that you can see above. I had to outline each petal half with split backstitch to create a wall for the next step: padding. You can see the padding completed (but not satin stitched yet) in the photo above.
Tomorrow I will tackle the padding in the five petals that are left, and the next day I will do the satin stitches over the padding. I can't wait to finish this project!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!