Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Friday, May 20, 2016

Royal School of Needlework Classes

Ah...., the Royal School of Needlework (also referred to as RSN) is the premier needlework school of the world. Who wouldn't want to learn from their esteemed teachers? It's been a dream of mine...sort of a needleworker's bucket list...to take classes from the RSN. I soooo wanted to travel to Hampton Court (their home base) a few years ago to study, but the Great Recession got in the way. Darn it!

The RSN has been teaching their Certificate and Diploma courses, and regular classes, in the US for several years. They've parked in San Francisco, and other places, and the last two years they've been in Williamsburg, VA. I signed up for their email list and registered for two white work classes this year. It was easy to do and PayPal works best for payment options. Four wonderful classes were offered, but white work is more usable for me at this point. And who wouldn't want to take white work classes from the best white work instructor in the world: Jenny Adin-Christie?
I had to take the ferry over to Williamsburg, VA (it's free) but it was a rainy day.You can see a barge and tugboat in the distance.
I was packed and ready to go: water bottle, bag filled with supplies including my sit-upon hoop (double wrapped), magnifier, lots of notions, coffee, phone charger....
The class was "Whitework Buttons"  and here's the kit. Beautifully packaged with everything needed to finish the project, which is the photo on the front. Two days of intensive needlework with breaks for tea or coffee, and a break for lunch: much needed after concentrating so hard to learn the techniques and stitch them on the project.
I'm adjusting my sit upon hoop at the end of the day to keep the fabric perfectly tight. You can see Jenny in the background (sitting) explaining a technique to one of the other students. Time to head back to my home to get ready for the next day of class!

2 comments:

  1. How fun is that! I hope you will show us your finished projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so, but it won't be until later this summer. I'm working on a new Christening Gown Ensemble, then I can get to them. So many things to do, so little time....

    ReplyDelete

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!