Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Thursday, July 29, 2021

Featherweight Love 3

Today I could only do a little work on the 221 Featherweight: I cleaned and spray-painted the "nut" that holds the drip pan cover on the machine. I also ordered some black paint from The Featherweight Shop for touching up the paint that's gone from the bottom edges of the machine. Whoever owned this one really banged it up around the base (where the screwdriver is pointing) but it's fixable.


The Featherweight Shop must think I'm crazy for continuing to order items and instead of putting everything all in one order. Oh well....shipping is free using First Class mail.

So to keep moving ahead on the restoration, I'm working on the case. First I cleaned the whole case, inside and out, gently with damp paper towels. Easy!

Then according to the Featherweight Shop's video I cleaned all metal with Nevr Dull, a metal cleaner, the can behind the case. The shoe cloth sitting on the case is great for polishing.


You can see the difference on the back hinges from grubby


to bright and shiny. I used the blue gloves for this (ones left over from the beginning of the pandemic): great to use to protect my hands from the chemicals.

Then I brought out the wood glue and damp paper towels to glue down any of the loose Tolex (the black "fabric" covering the case inside and out). I used cheap paint brushes from the Dollar Store to apply the glue.

The bottom of this case was pretty wrinkly but now looks better. I'm only working on the outside of the case right now: inside will come later.

Then it was drawing time with large Sharpie permanent black markers to cover marks, etc. I used them (2 markers) over the entire surface, then used Kiwi Scuff Cover over the case outside and the handle. Luckily, the handle is in great shape and will not need to be replaced.

Next will be using Kiwi black shoe polish all over the outside and buffing to a nice shine...but that will be another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!