Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Friday, July 30, 2021

Featherweight Love 4

 Working on the Featherweight case is rewarding, especially one that's in good shape. BUT...you occasionally run into some "nasties". In this case it's brown mold......after I removed the wrinkled, torn Tolex of the case bottom I saw it.

So, down to the kitchen to clean it up: gloves, wet paper towels, the waste basket close by and bleach.

I carefully wiped the mold with wet paper towels and quickly dropped them in the waste basket. I repeated this a couple of times. Then I took damp paper towels again and added bleach and wiped down the bottom and insides of the case. Then I put the waste basket bag into our trash can outside. There is a musty odor in the case and machine, which can be "normal" for an old machine. The smell comes from where it has been stored and also the old oil pad in the bottom of the machine, which I've already disposed of. I'm hoping the bleach treatment reduces the odor, and I have some special case deodorizer from The Featherweight Shop on the way to also attack the smell.

Now the fun begins: I get to rub the Kiwi black shoe polish onto the outside of the case and make it look beautiful! It's fun: I used to polish my dad's shoes when I was a kid (besides mine) so it's nostalgic for me, soothing, too. I enjoy seeing a pair of shoes cleaned and shined, back to their original beauty. It's the same with the case.

Then I put some of the black shoe polish on the cleaned lift out tray, which was in really good shape. No gluing or repair work was needed. It buffed up to a nice shine.
That's enough 221 Featherweight work for today. Time too work on some other projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!