Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Friday, February 12, 2021

My IKEA Drawers

I had a request from a good friend about what I store in the six drawers of my Ikea Alex wide drawer unit on casters. I have to say having this organization (compared to the haphazard storage before renovating my sewing room) has greatly increased my efficiency! It's so easy now to grab or put away notions, floss, scissors, etc., while working on a project. I feel "professional" working at my L-shaped desk with all my necessary tools...well almost all...right at hand. But we stitchers and sewers know you can't possibly put it all in one drawer unit!!

First off, the top of the 6-drawer unit:

Filled with a lovely box in the back that's made from an old measuring yardstick filled with notepads, sachet, glass cleaner and my 'dead needle' storage.  Check out the old phone!! We keep a 'landline' because hurricanes cut out cell phone usage. There's a pile of stuff, the cup pencil holder, coaster, notepad and of course my wonderful Sunbeam light from the Dollar Store, a gift that I use all the time.

Drawer One: 

Arguably the most used drawer of all. The six Dollar Tree 9" white trays hold from right to left (1) 6" rulers of various sorts, point turners, hex wrenches (for IKEA furniture), (2) All manner of markers pencils and pens, (3) Stilettos, awls, seam rippers, small screw driver, (4) needles and needle threaders, (5) sewing gloves, sewing bandages, clips of various types, (5) all manner of pattern weights. The drawer front has lots of clear rulers, my Simflex Sewing Gauge, two piping tools, stapler and box of bobbins.

Drawer Two:

(1) Right 9" tray has different erasers, pencil lead refills, pencil sharpeners, (2) 13" Dollar Tree tray has boxes of pins and sewing machine needles. The pretty black trimmed case is my Machine Needle Case that carries my "working" sewing machine needle cases of all sizes. The strawberry case is my working sewing needle book (one of many.....). I store all of my Pfaff sewing machine manuals here along with the blue box that has machine feet and other Pfaff things. Various clear tapes, labels, two small boxes of bee's wax and smocking row counting devices fill out the rest of the space.

Drawer Three:

I purchased two black velvet lined jewelry trays (available at some craft stores in the bead sections) for scissors. Lots of scissors, and some of them aren't pictured because they're with kits I'm working on. Then there are the beautiful scissor cases and scissor fobs of different types, some gifted to me. On the right are pink scissors in a cute case, again a special gift. In front of that is my DOVO set in black leather, along with a very long pair of hemostat clamps in the back right. The very front has a beautiful white/silver chatalaine (another treasured gift) and two more scissor cases with matching pincushion/needle book.

Drawer Four:

Four long 13" trays. from right to left, (1) various notions for pocket shaping, a Quick Pleater set, and a double tracing wheel. (2) Tape makers in all sizes, and a selection of tapes (Seams Great, Stitch Witchery, Stay Tape...you get the idea),  (3) Glues, (4) clamp-on magnifier.

Drawer front has homemade clamps, a Dollar Tree clear box filled with snaps, hooks and eyes with Steam a Seam under that. Usually there is a folding light with cord but it's in use in another room. The lovely green basket (another wonderful gift) holds my camera and behind that is a pouch for computer and phone cables when traveling.

Drawer Five:

Well, this is self-explanatory with all the colors of DMC cotton floss in the long trays, stored by color group. In front are two of my Spinsters (for making cord), some new floss I ordered that I haven't tried yet and a bag of the DMC Coloris variegated floss.  Underneath it all is my DMC Color Guide along with print outs of the color names, and other brand conversion charts to DMC colors. Of course, this is only the cotton floss....there are boxes of silk floss, silk ribbon, floche and specialty cords and flosses in my bookcase: you can never have enough threads and colors to work with!

Drawer Six:

Left side has what I call my idea notebooks where I write and draw out designs and projects. Then there's a pile of magazines that have my published articles in them. On the right is an old box filled with various mother of pearl buttons, antique and otherwise.

Could any of this change? Yes, the organization must fit the need as the need evolves. I still have some notions in drawers in the closet and I may change some things around but it all works for me now. I hope you've enjoyed a peak into my drawers!




2 comments:

  1. I see a trip to my local Dollar Store in my future. I've been looking for trays for my Container Store drawers and my Alex, but was finding they were either far too deep or far too short; it was a very Goldilocks situation. Thank you for sharing your Alex innards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy: I'm so happy my post helped you out...you brought a smile to my face! I hope your trip to the Dollar Store is successful and you get your IKEA drawers organized the way you want them.
      Susie

      Delete

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!