Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Sunday, November 1, 2020

Finished Crewel Necessities

 I am so pleased with this finish! The colors, the gorgeous Ulster upholstery linen, the design...everything! It's almost too pretty to use. The last finishing steps were the hardest and the most fun.

Back to lacing again after putting the padded side of the board towards the wrong side of the front. I used the heavy polyester thread provided in the kit and kept the thread "running" from the spool on the wood spool holder for the long amount needed (no knotting in between). First one way, then the other way.



The inside cover was pinned to the outside one to get ready for stitching.

The instructions said to slip stitch the two together but I used a slightly slanted Ladder stitch to make it a bit more secure with the polyester thread. A small opening was left on one end to eventually tuck the cord ends into.
I made the cord with pearl cotton and used my Spinster.

Next the cord was pinned to the edges of the Necessity starting at the little opening. Stitching the cord to the edge was the hard part. It took two days to slowly work my way around the rectangle using one strand of supplied embroidery thread to match the cord. Guided by the instructions I placed a piece of tape around the cord a little way from the opening and then cut in between the tape.


I used my "Purple Thang" to push the end into the opening, then repeated to the opposite end of the cord. Both ends we're secured together and to the edges. Whew!
A small pearl button was stitched to the cord endings to disguise the joining.

Opposite the cord, on the other side of the case, I made a button loop with pearl cotton over three strands of pearl cotton and then buttonhole stitched over the 3-strand loop. 

It's done. Finished! Here's the inside...

And the beautiful outside. Thank you to Kim Sanders of North Carolina for teaching this wonderful class and designing such a beautiful project!!

It looks so pretty and clean I'm hesitant to use it so maybe I'll display it in my newly remodeled sewing room!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!