Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Thursday, June 25, 2020

Just Stitch Challenge Day Four!

Yes, you read that right. Yesterday was a long day and I didn't get around to blogging about what I stitched...Mea Culpa. But today is different. I'm working on a special project...can't say many details or for whom. But I spent some time on it yesterday and today.

Yesterday I chose my pattern and fabric for a baby day gown from Elegant Stitches for Baby, a Martha Pullen classic. Fabric is a very nice Swiss batiste.
Then I shortened the gown length and cut out the pieces.

That was yesterday.

Today I cut one inch strips of cotton micro check gingham for piping for trim on the gown.
Then I made the piping using Aunt Lydia's Fashion #3 crotchet cord which is tiny, tiny. A bit of a pain to make up into piping but I found if I used my narrow edge stitch foot, and kept the piping to the right of the blade and my needle a few ticks to the left of the blade, that it worked especially well.
The pattern has 1/4" seams so the piping had to be trimmed down to 1/4". Out comes my "Groovin' Piping Trimming Tool" which has grooves in it to place over the piping at 1/4" and 5/8" from the edge. Just slide the piping under the preferred groove and trim the excess fabric off...so fast and efficient!
One little trick I use when basting the piping to a garment: I gently pull the cord out of the end and trim off the equivalent amount of the steam width. Then pull the cord back into the piping. This trick cuts down on bulk in the seams.
So you see, I really was stitching every day for the challenge.  More to come tomorrow. I wonder what I'll get into?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!