Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Friday, July 27, 2018

RSN Whitework Button 3

It's done! I've finished the embroidery on the "Scabiosa Whitework Button" designed by Jenny Adin-Christie. I worked diligently on the Ladder Stitch Outline. Here the left side of it is completed and I'm working on the right side (but the needle is parked). You can see the thread that's being couched heading down to the bottom right corner (Retors 8). The needle will go into the hole directly across from where it's coming out of the fabric and over the Retors 8, then on down the line with a back stitch and a couching stitch. It's fun to do.
 Next I had to tackle the cutwork...one was done in class and three to do at home. These are easy to do. It's sort of like an eyelet.
Each cutwork triangle was a sightly different size. And they're done!
I had decided to not make all eight "triangles" in cutwork:  too repetitive for me. The instructions suggested using "free form" eyelets to fill some of them. They're made to fill the space as needed and create interest. They are not meant to be perfect round eyelets, but you still have to wrap all the edges. Here's the result:
Next step is to carefully clean this lovely piece. Even though I washed my hands each time I stitched, the piece still gets soil and oils on it. After it's cleaned and dried I will decide whether to mount it as a framed piece, or as a brooch to wear. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I think a framed piece would be just the way to finish it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carla! Not sure what I'm going to do just yet. I have another Button kit from Jenny so two together framed would be pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!