Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Monday, July 30, 2018

Another Heirloom Machine Mat

I've finished another Heirloom Machine Mat. It's going to be part of a Raffle Basket for the upcoming Smocking Arts Guild of America Convention in Winston-Salem, NC. It was a great way for me to check my pattern instructions while making it since this is a Berryhill Heirlooms class, too.

I love the color choices: pretty florals in yellow and pink with a little Liberty Lawn thrown in for good measure. Here are most of my choices:
It's so much fun to sew up! The Liberty fabrics are from a pack I bought at Liberty in London in the very early 90s. Even the solid pink and yellow are Liberty lawn. I just love the idea of using small, precious bits of fabric to make something so pretty and functional!

The pockets were stitched with fabric strips, Swiss insertions, lots of entredeux. The pink Swiss beading is ready to be sewn down.
I designed the Thread Catcher flat against the mat so it wouldn't stick out too much. I just love the gathered lace attached to the Swiss beading. It hangs from the mat by loop and button. 
Little bits and pieces make up the cute pincushion. A lace flower and another mother of pearl button decorate the top. It can be attached to the mat with hook and loop tape.

I think this will make up a very nice Raffle Basket for the SAGA Convention.  Now, what else shall I add to the Basket?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!