Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Friday, January 19, 2018

2018 Stitching

It's the beginning of a New Year and my thoughts go to what I want (or hope) to accomplish this year. So far it's started off with two snow storms. Gives me a little time to enjoy the snow, the birds, and clean the snow balls out from our 98-pound Golden Retriever's paws every time he goes outside.
The snow also gives me time to think about what I really want to stitch and sew. Special projects that I've been itching to get to. So what are they? And in no particular order, they are:
1. Embroider some more kitchen towels I ordered from All About Blanks. It's fun, easy, fast and oh so fulfilling to just watch that embroidery machine do all of the work!
2. I have a smocked 18" doll's nightgown article I want to finish and submit to the Smocking Arts Guild of America national magazine called SAGA News. I'm so close to finishing I can just touch it!
3. Finish another smocked coin purse from the SAGA Stitches Program #8 which was started as a Chapter program, and I finished it today by adding the little fob (or dingle dangle as I call it) to add some extra sparkle.

4. I need to complete my orange pumpkin silk pincushion and matching black velvet ribbon scissor case embroidered with a beaded pumpkin and little black spider...maybe I'll get it done in time for Halloween.
5. I sooo want to sew up a pretty blouse using my gorgeous Liberty fabric I purchased from The Sewing Boutique in Vicksburg, MS. It's so beautiful with paisleys and flowers that's says "Liberty". I got it all cut out yesterday ready to stitch up when I go on a sewing retreat in late February. I had the thread, buttons, interfacing and pattern in my stash. I did have to redraft the sleeve to make long sleeves with fold-back cuffs.
6. Then there's the medallion quilt top using the beautiful toile piece I inherited from my mother. I got my quilting books out and looked at possible frames for the medallion and planned it out, chose the fabrics from my Keepsake Quilting stash that I purchased earlier this year. After stitching the frame around the toile scene I hope to figure out the rest of the quilt top and stitch it up at the same sewing retreat.
7. Then there are the UFO's...unfinished objects piled up in a file box.
This is the perfect time of year to pull out one or two and get stitching while the fire is going in the fireplace and the cat is in my lap.

Ah...so much to do and stitch. And I'm very grateful that I can do the things I love.  I'd love to hear what your stitching projects are for 2018!

SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!