Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Bullion Roses

I'm finishing up the fine embroidery on the second Elegance Christening Gown. Bullions are not hard...it's the mechanics that throws people off switching back and forth between left and right hand. Personally I think they're beautiful and versatile. They give embroidery a two-dimensional look. I prefer to use floche, but other threads work. The right needle is extremely important: use a milliner that's appropriate for the chosen thread. Here I'm using a #9 milliner with one strand of cloche. It's a stitch that I practice first on a doodle cloth, as you can see here against the finished ones of the Over Dress. Bullion Roses can be a little tricky because of placement around a circle.

This rose has two center bullions at 6 wraps each, then 4 more at 11 wraps each curving around the two center ones. I love this ecru Floche against the Swiss scalloped edging and the ecru silk satin ribbon!

The last row is 8 bullions at 12 wraps each done in white floche. The white highlights the ecru billions so nicely. These roses are so elegant, understated and beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!