Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Hiding a Seam

I'm sewing up the Elegance Christening Ensemble in the ivory and white combination. The lovely (and long) ruffled Swiss edging seam on the Over Dress is always a fun one to do. It's "hidden" so the wrong side of the garment looks just as neat as the front side. There's the old adage that the inside of a garment should be as neat as the outside. It's important during the christening when holding the baby....the Over Dress will open up and the wrong side will be seen.

Here's how I do it:
First I sew the gathered ruffle to the Over Dress with wrong sides together, zigzag it, trim and press towards the Over Dress. Next I trim off the fabric from both sides of the Swiss beading up to the "railroad tracks". I lay the wrong side of the railroad tracks (it's actually a row of entredeux) right over the ruffle seam and stitch with a narrow zigzag. The zigzag is over the straight stitch on the wrong side. And one stitch goes in the entredeux hole and the other swing of the needle goes just into the fabric.
After pressing the beading down around the whole seam I run the silk ribbon through the beading with a bodkin.
Then it's on to the left side to zigzag it down, encasing the raw seam underneath. Here's the wrong side... pretty neat (pun intended!).
Here's another photo of a dress yoke from my Basic Yoke Baby Ensemble Pattern using the same technique at the yoke seam.
It's so easy and neat. I love this technique!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!