Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Sunday, September 3, 2017

Credit Card Holder

It's been a while since I've posted. But I've been busy making clothing for the grand daughters that have been mailed off for one all-important birthday! What does that have to do with a credit card holder, you say?? Well, now it's time to do a quick project just for me. One that's been in my head and VERY necessary today. I really dislike people who make their "living" skimming off of other, honest, hard working people. Skimming is the technical word for credit card theft using a device that's put illegally on ATMs, gas pumps, and the best of all, into computers. Computers.... like when you're waiting for a plane in the Atlanta Airport and someone walks by with that loaded computer, or sits next to you, and basically gets your credit card information without lifting a finger...or maybe one or two on his keyboard while he innocently walks slowly past while you're having a quick bite to eat. As you can tell, it happened to me on Terminal B coming back from teaching a workshop. Bummer.

So after doing some research I learned about RFID blocking fabric. It's impregnated with silver copper and who knows what else, but it stops those skimmers from getting your information. It's not washable, but that really doesn't matter to me. Do a search and you can find it at several fabric and notions websites. I've been temporarily using an "Altoids" tin for my cards, but that really doesn't have enough style or creativity, right?

So I tried a Vogue purse pattern with lots of options, including a credit card holder. Made it up, but it didn't work: the card tops were visible and I just felt it wasn't safe enough. I kept thinking about something simple, easy, quick and stylish. Then I thought about a project bag like the one in this post about Sewing at the Beach 2018.

I used a basic 6" square to start for the back, and one 3" x 6" rectangle for the front top, and a 3 1/2" x 6" rectangle for the front bottom. One-half inch seams included in the measurements. The outside fabric is the wrong side of a velvet upholstery fabric (right side is under the holder in the photos). The interlining is the RFID fabric, and the lining is some leftover turquoise polished cotton.
I rounded the corners because the fabrics were pretty thick...easier to turn right side out and press to get that pretty rounded corner. Here's the result and I love it!

Of course I couldn't just leave the zipper plain. Hand to make a "Dingle Dangle" from leftover beads. The card holder is just big enough to put some cash in, maybe a lipstick. Perfect!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!