Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Monday, August 21, 2017

Quick Gratification

I love handmade clothing and hand embroidered things. But every now and then I just need to let loose and let the embroidery machine do all the work. I've had a bunch of really nice cotton kitchen towel "blanks", courtesy of All About Blanks, sitting around my sewing room for months. Today I decided was the day to play with the embroidery machine (it's hot outside), select some designs I haven't used and stitch them up....all 6 of the towels.

My machine is definitely not the latest and greatest. I have two 7570 Pfaffs that I dearly love and both of them come with their own embroidery units. Love it!! I am limited on what I can stitch to what's on the embroidery cards (remember those things?). But it's still fun to do. I can just sit and watch that needle go up and down all day while it stitches the designs. Nothing beats quick gratification to make you feel like you've really accomplished something! A grape leaf wreath looks good with the green borders of these two towels.
Instead of being mesmerized by the machine I do try to stay busy removing stabilizer and tacking threads on each towel while the next one is stitching away. I "mark the spot" with blue washout marker, iron on some tear-away stabilizer to prepare each new kitchen towel to be embroidered. So much fun and fast! I used a Christmas design with black outlines on this black edged towel.
Here's the result of my "effort". Six kitchen towels, each design a little different in cotton threads, including two topiary ones in multi colors to match the band. Not bad for a a hot, humid day here in Tidewater Virginia.

1 comment:

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!