Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Sunday, July 23, 2017

The Smocked Coin Purse

Remember that project I got together before some traveling? The Smocked Coin Purse? It's finished!
Smocking it on the plane took no time at all: one side from Norfolk to Atlanta, and the other side coming home from San Antonio to Atlanta.
Yesterday I added the bullion rose, forget-me-nots and leaves in coordinating floss colors below the smocking. Today I stitched it all together. Here are some of the steps. 

Both smocked sides are stitched around the outside perimeters of the pattern piece then trimmed up to the first stitching (photo on the right).

Below is after both outsides were stitched together, then the lining was attached. I used a rust colored fabric for the lining. Pressing on the sleeve board was most helpful!
 I chose this little purse frame from a local craft/decorating store. It looks a lot like the one used in the instructions.
Then it was time to sew the beads on which hold the fabric to the frame. The blue threads over the frame are the temporary whipped stitches to hold it all together. Makes it much easier to sew those beads on!
It's so cute and takes such little amount of fabric. I think our SAGA Chapter is going to use this SAGA Stitches program (Program 8) in the Fall as a group project. They would make good stocking stuffers!!

6 comments:

  1. It is really cute. But will you really use it?? It's too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree its too cute to use, but I did use a dark lining to hide any dirt from the coins. I think a silk one for formal occasions would be great to tuck into an evening bag. Hmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dark lining was a good idea. Silk sounds nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful points most people wrote in this article... Great items… I think you have made some genuinely interesting elements. Keep the good do the job.

    Kids Clothes Online

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really cute. I actually carry my coins around in a tiny sock with purse tops, so I would actually use this.I know this is way after you published it originally, but I am new to Pinterest. Is there a pattern available for this? I checked out your website but didn't find it, although I may have missed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nancy: Yes, there is a pattern available for this through the Smocking Arts Guild of America (www.smocking.org). Go to "Education", then "SAGA Stitches". Then scroll down until you get to the Coin Purse, which is SAGA Stitches #8. The pattern costs $8.00. It doesn't take much fabric at all, but you need a pleater, or someone who can pleat it for you. The little purse frames can be found on Amazon, of course, or at Hobby Lobby. Michael's may have some, too, but I haven't looked lately. I hope you enjoy this project!

      Delete

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!