Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Notions Nécessaire Raffle Basket

Every year I try to make something special for Sewing at the Beach 2018 as a fund raiser since I'm fortunate enough to be on the faculty again this year. Don't always get a raffle basket done, and if not, I supply some goodies for a gift basket. This year I'm ahead of schedule. I had four really cute fabrics that I bought from Chadwick Heirlooms just for this purpose. It's so easy to select great quilting fabrics from their quilt department!

I'm making up my own pattern of the Notions Necessarie, a sewing notions "purse". It's mostly machine sewing and only a little hand work so it works up fairly quickly. Here's a photo of the fabrics. The white quilting fabric on the left is for the project bag and the Sewing Machine Necessary pattern, a mat with pockets that sits under your sewing machine.

Usually I do some machine embroidery on the front but I decided to do something different this time. Something unusual with ribbon work. I had all of the supplies on hand: wired ribbons, stamens, buckram.

And resource books. I thought the idea of the rose would echo the "circles" in the aqua fabric and the stamens would echo the white sprays coming out of the circles on the aqua fabric. I experimented with different types of leaves.

I made a couple more things for the raffle basket with the same fabrics. Like a zipper pull for the project bag. And a matching scissor fob. So much fun to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!