Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Boerne, TX

A couple of weeks ago I went to Boerne, TX which is right outside San Antonio, for a family wedding. It was a whirlwind trip and so much fun to see family and experience a real Texas wedding: boots, smoked brisket barbecue, Texas road house, hot weather, starry nights and all. While there I was able to shop in Boerne, a really lovely Texas town. It has all the right historic houses I love, neat shops, antique stores and good restaurants! 

Whenever I get to shop and explore new places I always look for old baby clothes and sewing items to add to my collections. I struck "gold" right away with this little gem: "The Singer Sewing Library". The complete case with four little Singer sewing books tucked away inside!
Book #1 in the Singer Sewing Library is  "Short Cuts to Home Sewing".
Book #2 is "How to Make Dresses the Modern Singer Way". But I sure don't understand how the lovely antebellum lady on the front cover is an example of the "Modern" Singer Way....
Book #3 is "How to Make Children's Clothes The Modern Singer Way". 
And Book #4 is "How to Make Draperies, Slip Covers, Cushions and other Home Furnishings".

Each one of the books, purchased separately, originally cost 25 cents! Copyrights extend from 1927 up to 1934. The books were available at your local Singer Shop or from the Singer Representative that would come to your home....now that's an idea!

2 comments:

  1. That was a lucky find!! I love my set. It's a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took them to our SAGA Chapter meeting last night and everyone enjoyed looking through them. The machine feet and instructions in the books will be a good reference for my Featherweight!!

    ReplyDelete

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!