Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Monday, May 1, 2017

It's Berry Time Again!

Spring...time to start making jam when the first of the strawberries ripen. We pick our strawberries at a small farm in Surry, Virginia named College Run Farms. Great place, fun to pick berries and of course, their homemade strawberry ice cream is to die for! (I think that's why my husband comes along and picks with me.)

As you can see we picked a bunch of strawberries..... I lay them out on a paper towel covered cookie sheet to keep them nice and fresh in the frig.

Then I made Strawberry Jam....
A bunch of Strawberry Lemon Marmalade....
And then I made Strawberry Kiwi Jam (with a touch of candied ginger in it).....
And a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. Whew! Look at the gorgeous color of the jars...reminds of stained glass windows. So beautiful and soooooo delicious!
And this is just the beginning of the season. Next come the blueberries, then fresh peaches (the Brandied Peach Jam is a favorite) and more goodies towards Fall. What do I do with it all, besides enjoy it on wonderful bread, croissants  or biscuits? I give it away to friends, neighbors, family, hosts (if I can drive to a teaching site...TSA doesn't like jars of jam). It's a nice hobby to have and a good break from stitching, sewing and designing. Now it's off to Vicksburg, MS for another teaching engagement this weekend.


1 comment:

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!