Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Friday, April 21, 2017

An Opportunity to Excel

I always look at mistakes, problems, supply frustrations or design challenges as "opportunities to excel".  Seems to make me feel better if I've made a blooper or can't figure my way out of a paper bag. It's particularly unnerving when I'm asked to teach a class, go to order the supplies and find something isn't available anymore.....
anywhere....
at any cost.....
never to be made again.
ARRGGGGGG....!

It happens more and more nowadays and forces me to either re-design something, or select different colors and make another sample. Such is the case with my Beaded Strawberry Scissor Case Class. Originally it was made with absolutely gorgeous pink and white 1/8" silk dupioni gingham. Just the right amount of pink to go with the Beaded Strawberry. But, alas, the darned pink gingham cannot be found anymore. It's not being made. And of course, I was asked to teach it as a class. I had a small amount of the pink gingham to make some of the kits but not all of them. No problem... just another opportunity to excel.

So the search commenced for another color of silk gingham. I found a beautiful green gingham from Silk Baron that fit the bill both in gingham size and color. Next I had to match cotton floss colors and found two DMC colors (#471 and #905) worked beautifully for the embroidery, cord and keyhole tassel.
I used a slightly yellow clear rainbow #11 glass bead for the tassel, too. Here's a photo of the result compared to the Original.
Pretty good opportunity to excel if I do say so myself. I think the ladies in the class will be pleased with their kit choices!

4 comments:

  1. I think the colors are striking! I like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeannie!! Where there's a will, there's another color to use...Lol!

      Delete
  2. Wow that's so pretty. I wish someone where I live taught a class like that. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love working with beads and silk ribbon. Gotta have some sparkle!

      Delete

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!