Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Cornflower Scissor Sheath

 Cornflower, Bachelor's Buttons are just a few names for this lovely blue flower worked on a scissor sheath and a pinball. This beautiful kit was a class from the SAGA National Convention that I took from the designer: Susan O'Connor herself of Inspirations fame. The Centaurea project (part of the scientific name for the flower) is from Inspirations Issue #65. 

Working the scissor sheath on the pre-printed silk duchess satin was an enjoyable challenge using the Au Ver a Sole 'Sole d'Alger' stranded silk thread. So nice to work with. The sheen highlights the embroidery in different ways to give it a dimensional effect.

In class we worked the half cornflower, leaves and large stems. Now, at home, I'm working on the full flower...a little more challenging to discern the different flower petals. This color is Light Glacier (#1421), a beautiful frosty blue with a touch of gray.


The hoop is small so I have it clamped into my Elbesee Versatile Clamp in my Elbesee Floor Stand...so much better to work with hands free and keep my neck from getting a kink! I use a small piece of flannel over the hoop where it's clamped to protect the duchess satin.


So every day I'll take some stitches on this beautiful project. The sheath is really almost done so it shouldn't take long. Then I'll tackle the pinball. It's so nice to be able to just stitch! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!