Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Sunday, October 4, 2020

New Pressing Cart

I've had the ole' over-the-door ironing board set-up for years in my sewing room. It worked but was not the best arrangement: I have to plug the iron in behind the door. The door moves while I'm pressing despite the box and basket (loaded with various scraps) in front of it. And I didn't like the closet door always open, exposing stacked fabrics to dust, spray starch, etc. 

I found what I needed but it was almost perfect: IKEA hacks. Here's the link to click on: https://www.ikeahackers.net/2019/09/ironing-board-on-wheels-diy.html  But this one has a small ironing board and it's too low for my 5'8" height. The Nissafors white IKEA cart was taller so I bought one. I ordered an ironing board from Walmart online that's wide enough to fit over my IKEA cart and almost as long as my old one (again click on this): the "homz anywhere ironing board". It has metal mesh underneath to make it easy to attach wood blocks. It's going to work well on the cart except it has very well attached folding legs. Hmm......more about that later.

The cart was very easy to put together. Didn't even use any of my tools since a hex wrench was in the package! My neighbor gave me a piece of wood: 2" x 6" x 30". I measured the cart on top and needed two 11 5/8" long pieces. My wonderful husband cut them for me, then I painted them white to blend with the white cart with spray paint we already had. The hardware store had the correct screws and washers after I measured mesh sizes. I bought small screws with a round top and washers for the cart mesh. Larger counter sink screws (flat head) for screwing the ironing board to the wood blocks. I only used 4 large screws.

Then the fun began. After watching several YouTube videos on how to remove rivets (the ironing board legs are attached with them) I figured "No Problem!" But trying to drill down through the center of one and breaking the drill bit I called in The Army Ranger....my husband. Between the drill, a hammer and punch he managed to pop the rivet heads off.

Then he pried all the metal brackets off with a chisel and hammer and a lot of elbow grease. My hero! 

I attached the wood blocks to the top cart shelf easily with the rounded screws and washers. 

Only four screws and washers underneath...
Then I laid the ironing board on top and decided the best position and installed the flat head screws.
The four screws are barely visible in the photo below.
There's a folding hook at the end to hang my sleeve board on. 

I used the board pad as a pattern for my existing padding that was washed and dried. There are four layers of padding under the  blue cover: one foam, two cotton batting and another heavier, thick cotton batting.  
This pressing cart ended up 2" taller than the old one which is ergonomically much better!
All of my "pressing needs" are stored in the cart shelves and easy to reach when needed! It's perfect for my small sewing room. I love it when a plan comes together once again.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!