Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Monday, August 10, 2020

My New Sewing Space

My old sewing table, a very old, small beat-up wood table, was not doing the job anymore. I just didn't have enough room!
After posting on Facebook SAGA Discussion for recommendations I started looking at options. What I found was very expensive (between $1K-$6K). Now granted, they're gorgeous with all sorts of add-ons (again, more $$). I didn't need a sewing 'cabinet': something that closes up to look like a dresser. I didn't need spool racks since I have a wall mounted one. A sewing machine lift to adjust the machine bed to the table (so it's one flat surface) was interesting but those come with expensive tables and cabinets, usually too big for my diminutive sewing room.

IKEA to the rescue!! Some recommendations mentioned IKEA, along with Parson's tables, etc. The IKEA website had several options for 60" tables (as much length as I can have in the room). I chose the MALM desk  because it has a pull out panel for the laptop for easy access when I'm writing sewing instructions for articles and patterns. The desk is white so I can clearly see everything. Great for tracing embroidery designs, too.

I also chose the ALEX drawer unit for storage of all those sewing notions I need to keep on hand when at the machine. Perfect!! The final amount?  $326.48 since we drove to the Norfolk, VA,  IKEA to pick up the order. I'm VERY happy with that amount!! 

But then you have to assemble the items.........

I started with the Alex drawer unit first. Here are all the pieces.

And the inside of the unit showing the 6 pair of drawer slides...thankfully they were already installed.

Next came construction of the 6 drawers. A piece of cake!
And the completed ALEX drawer unit. I think a lot of drawer organizers from a dollar store are calling me....



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!