Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Thursday, December 19, 2019

Christmas Needlework Memories

It's that time of year to get all the decorations out especially when the whole family is coming to our house for the holidays. As I brought them out I realized I have many Christmas pieces I've made through the years. It's a "History", so to speak, of Christmas needlework decorations.

The 1970's (or earlier):  Kits!! I had a crazy idea if I did one kit a year I could "build" our inventory. Now, we're talking felt appliqué and sequins...after all, it was the 70's!


Christmas card holder, wall hangings and the children's Christmas stockings....I was busy!

1980's:  Lots of counted cross stitch pictures and one pillow in gorgeous, warm colors and a little bit of gold sparkle.  Come on...you gotta have sparkle for he holidays!


 I guess I was on a counted cross stitch roll for awhile.

1990's: I worked on two Christmas projects, both my own designs, both Crazy Patch, with all sorts of beads, silk ribbon embroidery and regular embroidery, while my husband was deployed in Bosnia and I was in living and working in Heidelberg.
 My Christmas Tree Skirt actually won an award in 1999 in Sew Beautiful magazine.
The table runner is based on the quilting Dresden Plate designs.
Last but not least, is a little counted cross stitch design using beautiful woven linen Zweigart band to lay out along a shelf. Again, stitched while in Germany waiting for my husband to come home from his deployment.
So many memories through the years. I hope you all have wonderful memories from your needlework adventures and creations. Merry Christmas and I wish you a safe and properous New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!