Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Friday, April 7, 2023

Quilt Conundrum

"Conundrum: A paradoxical, insoluble or difficult problem; a dilemma."

Dilemma:  followed quilt book instructions and quilt block (of which there are 72 in this quilt) does not stitch up correctly...arggg........  

I was so ready to stitch this Delectable Mountains Variations from the Creative Scraps "Quilting with Bits and Pieces" book by House of White Birches (2006). I'd already cut out all of the block pieces before the retreat in February. 

I stitched up a few of the blocks at the retreat but something wasn't quite right. So I put it away to finish another submission outfit for Classic Sewing Magazine. I sewed another block together and the same thing happened: the pieced triangle did not fit the solid triangle. I was able to trim the blocks up but they still weren't correct.

 I thought I had the problem solved with some creative math figuring...no luck. Strongly suspecting a "misprint" in the instructions, I plowed ahead and tried another block with what I thought was the correct math...no luck. The book states each completed block is 7 1/2", but they don't say that is the FINISHED square size as sewn into the quilt. The actual block size is 8 inches square to include the seam allowance. 

Then the proverbial lightbulb went off: why not check my cut out pieces to the illustrated actual pieces in the book.....Problem solved! The single white triangle stated size in the instructions was 1/2" smaller than the actual pattern piece. Much to my disappointment, I'd already cut those squares (that become 2 triangles) out. 

I thought this book would have been better edited and double checked (and I'd already used it to make another quilt). So much for attention to detail (you can tell I'm a little miffed thinking about fabric and time wasted). 

Not sure what the lesson is here..run up one block first to make sure the instructions and piece sizes are correct? Compare the instructions to the pattern pieces? all of the above?  Or not trust any quilt book?  I recommend checking every aspect of quilt book instructions prior to cutting out ump-teen pieces just in case there is an error. 

Don't know what I'll do with all those white squares and completed too-small ones: maybe some sort of tote? Now I have to go back to Joann's and buy more of the white muslin. But st least I have the problem solved and can keep stitching. I'll let you know when this one is completed and back from the longarmer.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!