Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Thursday, March 18, 2021

The Medallion Quilt Revisited

It's time to pick up old projects and bring them to the finish line. The Medallion Quilt I've written about before is at the top of my list. I cut out the backing last week: no need to sew it up since it was very wide. The cotton batting was steam pressed and cut to the backing size. The pieced top had to be pressed thoroughly again even after hanging on the banister railing. I've gone over my book ( Heirloom Machine Quilting by Harriet Hargrave, the evised and expanded third edition) to start the next steps on my way to machine quilting this one myself....gulp. 

First the table top was measured to find the centers of each side and marked with a piece of painters tape and a toothpick stuck under it at each center. The toothpick helps you to find the center marks when laying out the fabric. First the pressed quilt back, right side down, is matched to the center marks and slightly stretched and smoothed when clipped with the clamps. 

Next the cotton batting is laid onto the backing, again centered.
Then the pressed quilt top is  put down and centered. It's so easy to feel the taped toothpicks to align the centers. I used my hands to smooth everything out.

Then I pinned the layers together starting in the center and working out towards each corner. The pins have to be about 3-4" apart and not in an area where it is stitched. Then I followed the book instructions to put all three layers together using very large clips and LOTS of quilt safety pins...600 to be exact!

After the quilt center is completely pinned, the quilt is shifted over to one side of the table to expose the other side on the table top. The backing is again slightly stretched and smoothed and clamped. The other side of the quilt (including the pinned center) hang over the table side and the combined weight keeps it all smooth. This side is pinned, and the quilt is shifted over to the other side to expose the unpinned remaining side and the process is repeated.  

Next is the machine quilting of the Medallion center...I'm a little hesitant but onward and sew-ward I will go!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!