Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Medallion Quilt Quarantine

Ah, yes....more time, more projects to work on. I finished the Cream and Sugar quilt top. I'm waiting for the cotton batting to arrive before bundling it up and taking to the long armer. And I ordered the batting for the Medallion quilt at the same time (I dislike paying for shipping, don't you?). Here's the top hanging over the upstairs railing.
The Medallion quilt top is close to being finished so I'm really motivated. I moved into the dining room to work on it as my sewing table is very small and the quilt is getting too big! I decided to add a small border in the cream Kona cotton to offset the previous pieced borders before adding the new (and final) pieced border. I purchased a quilt book at a thrift store a while ago that I knew would come in handy for this project: "Pieced Borders The Complete Resource by Judy Martin and Marsha McCloskey, copyright 1994".
It has been perfect for me, a novice at designing quilts. The selection of different border treatments in the book and all information pertaining to them has proved invaluable. I knew in my mind what I thought I wanted to do and this book clarified my ideas. I decided on a type of log border called "Keyboard". The book has wonderful pages of borders with the related pattern pieces on other pages in different sizes.


A close up of the border I chose:
I traced the pieces onto paper from the book so I had a visual with measurements on them to help when cutting pieces with mat, ruler and cutter. So helpful! (The pattern pieces in the book have no measurements on them.) There are four pieces to cut for each "block" of this modified log cabin border. Below are piles of pieces and partially sewn ones, ready to get stitched into a border.
I so love the colors, working on the featherweight and sewing away the hours in quarantine!

1 comment:

  1. Susie, your quilts are beautiful! The pieced border you are working on brings back warm memories of when my mom was quilting. Ah, so nice!

    ReplyDelete

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!