Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Sunday, July 14, 2019

Grandma Camp

My husband and I just finished hosting our oldest granddaughter, age 12, for two wonderful weeks. We decided to take her to D.C. to see some of the important sights in our nation's capital. We stayed with our daughter and son-in-law who live in Alexandria so Jillian could visit with them.

The Smithsonian's Museum of Natural History was incredibly jammed: wait times to get in were prohibitive, so we headed to the National Gallery of Art. I found this gem in one of the galleries.
It's titled "The Seamstress" by  Joseph Rodefer DeCamp, painted 1916. Love to find things about the needlearts in unexpected places!

The one place Jillian really wanted to see was the U.S. Botanic Gardens. She loves to garden and explore new plant ideas, pretty flowers. I do, too! These photos give me ideas for silk ribbon embroidery.

Jillian took lots of photos herself. Here she is outside zeroing in on some pretty, red flowers.
The visit was not complete without some shopping in Old Town Alexandria and exploring the waterfront. Gretchyn, our daughter, and Jillian checked out the tall ship docked near the Torpedo Factory Art Center.
I love Grandma Camp!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!