Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Monday, October 1, 2018

Old Salem

I've returned from the Smocking Arts Guild of America National Convention in Winston Salem, NC. One of the Pre-Day events was a trip to Old Salem, a place I had never visited. What a pleasant surprise, especially since I live a short trip from Colonial Williamsburg. Old Salem was beautiful, gorgeous. I loved the beautifully restored buildings and grounds.

Here are some of the attendees negotiating the brick sidewalks taking in the sights.













I loved this simple door wreath on a private residence.
A beautiful side garden on another private residence.
There were demonstrations of various old trades within historic interpretive buildings to include woodworking, pottery, quilting, baking, gardening and more. This costumed lady was standing in the door of the quilting interpretive building.
Old Salem was founded by the Moravians, and their baking was memorable. You can go into the bakeshop and purchase wonderful cookies, cinnamon rolls and other goodies. These photos are of the original bakeshop areas.
We had lunch at The Tavern in Old Salem and enjoyed a wonderful meal. After lunch we walked down to the MESDA (The Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts) and enjoyed an in-depth tour which I'll share in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!