Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Monday, April 2, 2018

Ironing Board Organizing

My sewing room is a little small....well, smaller than I would like but I am definitely grateful for what I have. After seeing other sewing rooms and lofts, I take away ideas to improve mine such as the space where my over-the-door ironing board hangs. So I grabbed some scraps and threads to make a new organizer, including pre-quilted white fabric for the foundation.
The old organizer hangs from the ironing board frame with hook and loop tape and looks pretty sad. It worked for me, but my tools outgrew it.
I laid out the pre-quilted fabric side by side to see if I had enough fabric. I had to make a bit of double fold bias tape from my scraps, too.
I started from the top with the hook and loop tape (under the bias folded tape) and the first double pocket. I like to use a decorative stitch to attach the bias tape. I use my "chicken foot" stitch because it's not too dense which is good for see-through pockets out of vinyl.  I changed thread colors to mix and match the fun fabrics.
Here's the finished product with plenty of room for my doll "ham" in the vinyl pocket, spray starch, spray bottle, "rollie" for all of those pesky threads that stick to everything, and best of all, a cute pincushion that's attached with hook and loop tape so I can take it wherever I need.
I have everything I need right at my fingertips when pressing and ironing, 
and all sewn up in one afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!