Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Summertime Sewing

Summertime is a good time to sew up some items on my wish list...like some clothing for myself. I recently stitched up a beautiful blouse from a pattern I've used before (McCall's 7360), but I changed it. I added ruffles around the neck and front tab opening. And I shortened the sleeves and turned them under so I could use the sleeve tab to button them up, deleted the cuff entirely.  I used a wonderful Sea Island cotton floral that was heavily discounted when I purchased it. Buttons came from my supply on hand, and I didn't need to buy any thread. The total cost was about $20 plus my time. My time? Well, I think of that as paying myself since I'm saving so much $$.

Next on the list was a pair of pants to go with the blouse (and a few other tops I have). This also came from my stash. It's a heavier cotton with a lovely sheen. The pattern was on sale (Vogue 9189) and also purchased a zipper and one spool of thread. I used an invisible zipper instead of the recommended regular one. The lone button came from my button jar, and waist band stabilizer came from the stash.
Total cost I estimate to be about $30 for a pair of fitted, tailored pants. Not too shabby.

The best part about sewing from my wish list is the enjoyment I get from making something for myself that fits me and (I think) looks good. It's much cheaper than buying the same quality in a store. And it's more fun and creative!!

I'd love to hear what your summertime sewing projects are!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful garments! I'm working on a sundress with a smocked insert for my granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it will be beautiful. She will enjoy know she's a very special little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to see that you are sewing for you! I keep saying, when I lose 20 lbs, I will sew for me. LOL. I'm sewing Baby Clothes. And quilts.

    ReplyDelete

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!