Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Pin Tucks

Pin tuck...what the heck is it?

It's exactly what it says: a tuck that's tiny...as tiny as a pin's width. I like stitching them by hand. They're pretty easy, kind of monotonous: it's a rhythm thing. The kind of stitching that can be done watching TV.

I use a fine, cotton sewing machine thread and a #10 sharp needle on the batiste. I draw the fold line with the blue washout pen, fold the fabric along the line and begin the tiny pin ticks with a split back stitch on the underside of the tuck. I take tiny, even running stitches along the line, rocking the fabric onto the needle as I go.
This is the result on the unfinished bodice front...vertical triple pin tucks on either side of the machine pintstitched lace.
Pin tucks are another heirloom technique I'll teach (part of my Infinity Christening Gown Class) at SAGA's Boston Stitch Party March 30-2 April 2017 at the DoubleTree Hotel in Bedford Glen, MA.
Come and join the party!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!