Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Jelly Roll Jacket and Dress

I just love it when I complete a big project...such a good feeling of accomplishment.

This is the Gail Doane project that is on the Summer 2016 issue of Classic Sewing Magazine. I was fortunate to take Gail's workshop in June at Chadwick Heirlooms in Richmond, VA. I figured I would make this for our younger granddaughter who would enjoy the whimsy, colors and style of the jacket and dress ensemble. This would be for her birthday...this September 5. Oops. I had put it aside to complete the Elegance Christening Ensemble and some other projects so it was time to "get hot" on this one! And I did...just in time to mail it to her for that special day.

One thing I had to keep in mind is our grand daughter's favorite color: yellow. Yellow and more yellow.  I chose this Jelly Roll (what you use to make all of the beautiful colored strips on the jacket and on the dress) because it had a prominent yellow fabric. So I used that yellow fabric down the center front of the jacket and down the sleeve center....

and across the back, which really highlighted her favorite color. The jacket lining is a yellow floral. So much fun for her!
Here's the matching dress.
It's so nice to have it done....now it's on to the next project: a lattice smocked black velveteen children's hand muff. But more about that later......




2 comments:

  1. What a lovely dress! I'm thinking of making it for my granddaughter, too, but using yardage from my stash instead of a jelly roll. What size did you make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a darling ensemble! I am sure your granddaughter was thrilled with the birthday gift. You did a beautiful job with this project.

    ReplyDelete

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!