Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Introducing...The Elegance Christening Ensemble!

It's done! I'm so happy to get this finished. But first I have to tell you about the inspiration for this ensemble.

Last year at Sewing at the Beach an antique gown was raffled off as a fundraiser. It had scalloped, embroidered edging matched together down the dress front to the hem. When the gown was displayed the proverbial light bulb went off in my head about the matched edging, but I knew I wouldn't use it all the way down the front. So during 7 hour drive home I was figuring this design out in my head. Working the construction details....the gentle curve of the ruffle in front. The ribbon showing between the scallops. I couldn't wait to get home and start drawing out variations of sleeves, necklines...so many details, so little time!

I also wanted to use some of the new techniques I learned while taking those Whitework courses from the Royal School of Needlework: the little eyelets and the Shadowwork on the Under Dress! The embroidered beading with the ribbon covers up the ruffled seam so delicately. Even the gathered sleeves have the beading and ribbon.















The neckline of the Under Dress has a touch of embroidery!
I love this ensemble...it's perfect for a Christening or Dedication.
I will offer the Elegance Christening Ensemble in pink and white (shown), in all white, and in ivory and white, as a kit and as a class/workshop. It's not posted on my website just yet. There are a few more details to work out but I just couldn't wait to share this with you!


4 comments:

  1. It is absolutely stunning! I'm sure it will be a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Susie!! you tickle my 'first' addiction: Christening gowns.Sigh. Looking forward to seeing it in person in September!! Karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christening gowns are such fun to make because you can put a lot of details and love into each one. I will have this on display at SAGA Convention in my booth at Market so you can touch and feel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh,my! It is just gorgeous! Your work is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!