Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Christmas Sewing

So here it is....still October. Halloween is tonight...and this crazy lady is talking about Christmas sewing already?

Yup....I'm in my Christmas sewing and stitching mode. Time flies way too fast as we approach the holiday season, and for me it gets even crazier because I have supplies to order, kits to make for Sewing at the Beach 2016 (I'm on the faculty and very happy to be invited to teach again!). And I'm still working and designing new classes and patterns. I decided to set a goal of one project (or gift) per week to help me get started.

But I'm also in High Hover Mode because I make most of the gifts for our family. Why? Everyone loves to receive a hand made gift. It adds that special, loving touch when someone took the time to really think out a project, choose the materials and colors, and make it Just For Them. It also saves money. Last year I made a bunch of things and when I figured out what it cost to make them, subtracted from what the gifts would cost commercially, it saved me almost $1,000! That's a lot of savings. Yes, it took time to make those, but it was time I enjoyed using my talents to show love to my family and friends. And it still saved $$ over and above what my "labor" costs would be.

So here's the project I'm working on now. A beautiful 18" doll dress in one of my grand daughter's  favorite colors. I'm using Butterick 3329. It's a good doll clothing pattern to have on hand with all of the variations. I'm using View I, the party dress, but of course I'm changing it. I have some lovely pleated ribbon on hand from Ryco Trimming Co. that I purchased when I was in the area teaching
a workshop. This trim perfectly matches the basic polyester satin I purchased from one of the chain fabric stores. It also has a little silver thread running through the ribbon that adds the sparkle that little girls love.

I decided to add three rows of the trim to the bottom of the skirt. It was so easy to sew on: just a straight stitch along the ribbon pleating thread. The trim adds enough firmness to really make the skirt stand out.

I stitched some on the neckline of the bodice: just love the pleated ribbon around the neckline.

 But I couldn't resist adding some around each sleeve.




Here's the finished doll dress on one of my dolls....isn't it pretty? Little purchased rose buds adorn the waist sash which are quick and easy to stitch on to add a little special touch. I think my grand daughter will love this. I'll make a little necklace to go with it, and maybe buy some little party shoes, too.
So many projects, so little time to stitch them, but it's worth it to see the delight on the recipient's face when they open their Christmas gift. What Christmas sewing and stitching are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!