Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

A Unique Needlebook

I like to re-purpose things and recycle when I can. Doesn't everyone nowadays? On a recent driving trip I stopped into an antique mall for a break. I'm always on the lookout for antique sewing notions....darning eggs, scissors, thimbles, awls, etc. I also always look for beautiful linens. Embroidered tablecloths, napkins, doilies, dresser scarves, laces....anything that's in good shape. I can usually get them for a reasonable cost. I have used those embroidered dresser scarves to make tea cozys if the scarf is big enough. I also like to make needle books out of the smaller pieces. They come in different shapes and sizes with lace insertions, embroidered motifs and sometimes lace edgings. 

I found this latest piece for $1.50.
It measures about 5 1/2" by 10 1/2 ". I first washed it and let it soak in some non-chlorine bleach to get the stains out and brighten it up. Then I pressed it with some starch, knowing once made up it will never be washed.

I traced the perimeter of the doily onto paper and neatened the lines up. Next I measured and drew the center vertical and horizontal lines. The needle book pages would have to be smaller than the scalloped doily edges, so I cut off about 1/2 inch from the paper pattern around the circumference.
Then I cut out the first (and outside) wool page, then cut the second inner pager about 1/4" smaller than the first so it wouldn't peak out beyond the first page when folded. When finished, the needle book will have four wool pages.

I selected several "Needles" from different fonts on my computer and printed them out. After choosing the best one I penciled in the center vertical line and designed the silk ribbon flowers to stitch above the lettering. Next I placed the paper under the linen doily, centered it, then pencil traced the lettering and the flower design onto the fabric.

One strand of stranded cotton floss was all I used to stitch the lettering in a tiny chain stitch, using split back stitches to "hide" the starting knots. Next I embroidered the flowers in various silk ribbons (3.5mm and 7mm). I used gorgeous #11 glass seed beads on every flower to add that special touch of sparkle. The leaves were added last, tucked in where a touch of green looked good.

I made cord using two coordinating colors of stranded cotton floss using my Spinster. The two center eyelets in the center of the doily were perfect to run the cord through but I had to poke holes in the wool felt. I lined up the pages inside the embroidered doily and marked where the eyelets lined up on the felt pages. I have an unusual eyelet cutter (by Clover) that cut perfect little holes in the felt. You can see one of the holes in the far left of the photo above near the edge.

I threaded the cord through the felt pages and out the linen eyelets. Next I made two cute, fat tassels for each end of the cord, and tied it into a neat bow. Here's the result.....
Won't this be a special gift? Or perhaps a unique addition to your sewing basket? How do you use your vintage linens?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!