Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Sunday, August 8, 2021

Featherweight Love 6

 It's getting close to the end of this restoration. I have to put the Tolex I ordered into the case bottom. Then I have to start the painting on the machine bottom edges, which I suspect will take a while to do it carefully. "Bottom line" for this 221 Featherweight is the bottom of it got wet at some point in it's previous owners life. The cast aluminum has been "powdering" (for lack of a better word), it's exposed to the air and it is oxidizing. After contacting the Featherweight Shop for suggestions on how to paint the edges, I purchased a bottle of Ronsonol Lighter Fuel and some small metal bristled brushes. The brushes are to get the white powder off, then I wipe with the lighter fluid, then paint in small layers to build up the paint to match what's still hanging on. Should be interesting to say the least. What gets me is how did the original owners let this beauty get wet just on the bottom?? What were they thinking? but you never know what happens, you just try to fix the problem(s) and move on.

So, the easy part: new Tolex for the inside case bottom. The paper pattern is ready to go so all I have to do is lay it on the new Tolex and cut it out. I used wood glue on the case bottom and carefully smoothed the Tolex onto it and weighted it down with books (embroidery ones of course!).

 The case is finished!

 I started working on each bottom edge to remove the white powder and clean with he Ronsonol Lighter Fluid using those blue gloves so popular with Covid. (I knew they'd come in handy some day...)

Next, the machine. I learned how to take the motor off so I could get underneath it to remove the oxidation, then paint and polish. The black paint is from The Featherweight Shop and it came with a tiny brush.

I worked around the machine bottom edges. Then I noticed a couple of dings on the bed and on the rotary wheel:  easy touch up with the tiny brush included with the paint!! After drying, I installed the rubber feet and began polishing the machine to protect it. I'm fortunate as the decals are in really great shape: no damage from fabric sliding around over them. Here are the finishing photos! Look how she shines!!




See her scroll plate??

There is a "tradition" to name your machine after the previous owner. I contacted the store where I bought the machine and table and asked if they could find out the previous owner's first name. Her son was coming into the store soon I presume to collect his check from the sale. Her children decided to sell this beautiful 221 Featherweight Singer Sewing Machine after their mother passed away. 
So now this lovely machine is called "Eva".

Next is to work on the table...but after spending so much time on this wonderful project I'm going to take a restoration break. Until next time: Happy Stitching!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!