Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Monday, April 20, 2020

Pandemic Projects

Like everyone else, I'm at home practicing safe distancing and quarantining. I'm blessed as we have a good sized house and yard to stay busy in. Like many other stitchers and sewers, I  have lots of projects to keep me busy. I am very grateful for not only my home, my wonderful husband, my stash and projects, but also for my health. I hope you also are blessed!

The pandemic projects I've finished so far are varied, fun and some a bit challenging. Here's eye candy (or at least I hope it is!) to inspire and urge you on to staying busy.

I turned a UFO ribbon smocking sampler (taught by Kathy Awender many years ago) into the bodice of an 18" doll dress complete with piping.
Another UFO (self-imposed) was a Halloween stitching set of a pumpkin pincushion complete with spiderweb and spider; an emery with pumpkin flowers, spider and black lace edging; and a black velvet scissor case with a beaded pumpkin, spider web and spider. I used my patterns for these: Victorian Pincushion and Emery, and Victorian Scissor Cases. 
Next was more work on the Cream and Sugar Quilt, a block of the month project from the Fat Quarter Shop. I like to bring out the vintage/antique machines for this. This photo features the 1951 Singer 99K. The little quilt blocks are eventually stitched to larger ones.
 They are a bit of a pain to sew up.
How about a break from stitching?  My husband went to a local farm and picked strawberries for me so I got to make lots of jam for us, most of which I give away to friends and neighbors through the year. This was a batch of Strawberry Lemon Marmalade.
Back to the quilt....this time downstairs to put together blocks in long rows. I needed more sewing space so the dining room table was the best place. I used my 1935 Featherweight for the finishing work: it's a lot lighter to haul downstairs than the 99K! The booklet in the photo shows four long vertical rows that are sewn together after stitching those rows of blocks together..
The quilt top is done, thoroughly pressed and hanging over the railing in my hallway until I find a longarm quilter in the area who can quilt it for me. 
I hope this eye candy has inspired you to work through your projects and stay busy.  I wish you health, joy, peace and blessings during this pandemic!

1 comment:

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!