Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings that you will enjoy and appreciate. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Thursday, January 30, 2020

Silk Scene Finished

It's done. Another UFO out of the line-up. I was tired of seeing it hanging around my sewing room, but I had been sort of stumped as to what to embroider next. The "perspective" question was nagging me, you know, how to make the picture have depth from front to back. After much pondering I decided to just jump in and start.

First thing was some more plants in the front. I stitched pansies to bring out the pink and maroons. Little yellow French knots in the flower center coordinated with the yellow iris. Then I added some ferns (who doesn't like ferns?) with 2-3 colors of cotton floss using the Fly stitch and a few straight stitches.
Enter this bunch of Japanese Ribbon Stitch leaves which are 7mm ribbon. 
It looked like just a clump to me so I added stems of green floche and then 4mm ribbon straight stitches (3 to be exact) with the middle stitch on top. Then a French knot in the same green floche at the base of the leaves. That looked pretty good to me. Then some grasses in variegated silk buttonhole twist, more ferns and little tuffs of grass out of cotton floss to fill in.
Another big fern near the iris bases...Whew! 
And next some birds flying in the distance. I ended up with 5 birds (only 4 in this photo) in three shades of gray. The lighter ones look farther away in the distance. The birds are made using a Fly stitch with the wings tacked into a more bird-like shape. The "closer" birds have a single French knot at the bottom of the "V".
Another dimension trick was to add dimension is to make some of the same flowers in smaller threads and ribbons. I added the little group of iris (yellow and pale lavender) to the right of the rose bush. (The photo doesn't quite show them all.) The leaves are in silk buttonhole twist instead of 4mm ribbon. The stems are in cotton floss instead of the thicker buttonhole twist.
 Tuffs of grass scattered around the scene in buttonhole twist and floss add a little more greenery.
 I declare this Silk Scene finished!  Next it to mount it onto acid free board to get it ready for framing.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!