Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Thursday, May 16, 2019

Antique Toy Machines 2

Toy sewing machines fascinate me. We still see them today in stores for children but most of them are mostly plastic and not really able to stand up to a child's exuberance. Toy machines of years ago are different: they lasted, are made of metal and some were even electrified or battery powered. They stood the test of time.

Two in my collection are Casige machines. This particular one is Model 2015 and made for little girls in the 1940s. It is electrical (I have not plugged this one in to test it....yet....) as it is missing the rubber belt on the wheel. I bought this one in a store in Dallas. It's pretty and my favorite color.
 The sides have decals, too.
My pretty blue hand crank Casige is stamped "Made in Germany British Zone". Some German munitions factories were retooled after WWII to make toys as they did prior to the war, as is the case for Casige. I'm thinking this one was made in the 40s or 50s. Here's more information on the Casige factory. And an explanation of the "British Zone" reference if you'd like to learn more.
This machine is a "Kay-EE Sew Master" toy machine. It's mounted on a wood base, unlike the other metal ones. The face plate is engraved with "Berlin Made in Germany US Zone". It's powered by batteries (I haven't tried that yet) and in good shape. This was manufactured in the 40s or 50s.
I hope you enjoyed these little, fun toy machines!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!