Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Sunday, March 3, 2019

Dollar Daze

I'm thrifty and love to find ways to save money and use goodies from the dollar stores. Who doesn't love to shop in them? I find so many things that I can use for sewing and stitching notions or storage.
Here's a run-down of my favorite things:

Dot Labels in white or colors are perfect for putting on fabric pieces to designate which side of fabric is which. I recently used some on some fine cotton satin batiste just to be able to tell the difference when I was constructing the garment. Just don't iron over them!
Hardware Storage Case: I love these clear little boxes. They're at Dollar Tree. They're perfect for storing little sewing findings (snaps, hooks and eyes, tiny buttons, etc.) and jewelry findings. You'll find them in the tool and car section.
Little plastic containers with lids: again perfect for storing beads, buttons, sequins of all types: you get the idea. There are several in a package.
Mechanical Pencils: I prefer the 0.5mm ones, but dollar stores sell 0.7mm ones and the separate lead refill packs. Very useful for transferring embroidery designs that aren't real detailed and fine.

Non-Slip Rug Underlay:  Great stuff for putting under the machine foot pedal to keep it from sliding all over the floor. Just cut a piece your required size and lay it on the floor under the pedal. I made this one just for fun to coordinate with my Sewficiently Machine Mat (the mesh is over the fabric and on the bottom), but you can just use it as it is...but you probably already knew about this one.
Distilled Water: There are still some irons that need this water (not mine). But I used it to soak my Scabiosa Button per Jenny Adins-Christie's instructions for preparing the embroidery for mounting. Great to have on hand for this, and it was not easy to find (our local grocery stores didn't have it). I was delighted to find it at Dollar General.

Storage Boxes and Bins: Dollar stores have all different goodies for storage. Check out my post ( A Hot Mess of Lace) for making boxes to store my laces and trims. Perfect for organizing them!

Scissors: This is a set I received as a gift at a sewing retreat. I've cut some fabrics with them (but not fine heirlooms fabrics), and use them for other sewing related tasks. Also very useful as a designated paper scissors for cutting out patterns.
Washable Glue Stick: I use one for applying cotton batting (padding) to cardboard in my Beaded Strawberry Scissor Case. They're are also good for gluing some fabrics in place, or even 2-hole buttons prior to machine attachment. Very handy to have around in the sewing room.
Shower Caps: Put over my hooped embroidery keeps it clean and dust free. The caps usually come about 12 or so in a package. Can't beat that for a dollar!
Do you have any dollar store items that you use in your sewing room? Let me know what they are and what purpose they're for...I'd love to know!




1 comment:

  1. Great tips! I especially like your place boxes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!