Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Thursday, November 29, 2018

Christmas Needle Roll Inspiration

Several years ago I purchased a needle roll for my antique sewing notion collection. It caught my eye because it was all hand made. And I thought I could design something similar and use this one as inspiration. The inside is as I found it with pins, safety pins and a needle in the pink wool fabric. Looking carefully the pink wool is attached by a decorative featherstitch on the right side. It's  tucked and stitched under at the short ends. It measures 2 1/2 inches wide by 10 3/4 inches long (not including the ties).



The outside is a lovely, silk satin ribbon printed with holly and ivy! This had to be a Christmas present lovingly made for someone special. The single featherstitch on the sides has been done with a single strand of pink silk thread.
It folds up and ties with little silk ribbons but I think they've been trimmed through the years and now don't tie around the roll.
So what was my interpretation of this sweet needle roll? My Silk Ribbon Roll-Up class or kit which comes in two color choices: blue or mauve. And of course, it's beaded for that extra bit of sparkle!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!