Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Sewing Organized!

I've been working on another class to help everyone sew beautifully and sew efficiently: the Sewficiently Machine Mat with thread catcher and pincushion. What is a sewing machine mat? It's a pad that goes under your machine and usually has pockets hanging over the table edge to hold those all-important notions right at hand. I designed one a few ears ago, and still sell the pattern on my online store. It's great to use, and I use mine everyday under my Pfaff 7570...which is an older machine. It fits perfectly.

But newer machines are bigger... or wider. This new mat is a full 28" wide to accommodate those machines, and of course it's wonderful for my smaller machine (shown here).
This unique mat class combines the best of several things: designing strip blocks, decorative stitching, making bias binding and applying it (and a neat trick for overlapping ends neatly), using selvages...so much fun using your designing talents to come up with your very own unique Sewficiently Machine Mat out of your own fabrics!


The Thread Catcher is different: it's flat against the mat so it doesn't hang out so far away from the table. The cute pincushion is made from leftover bits of the strip block and is velcroed to the mat so you can take it wherever necessary.

There are lots of pockets, too, to keep your notions right at hand. The big pockets in back are good for shears, pinkers and taller notions. The front pockets are clear vinyl so you can see the smaller notions at a glance. This mat keeps me so organized when I sew that I sew faster and more efficiently! It's also great for folding up and tucking in my rolling machine case when I transport my machine to class...and I'm all ready to sew with all my notions in the mat ready to go! How neat is that?

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Pattie! I will hopefully be teaching it at Stitching' at the Beach (formally Sewing at the Beach) in Myrtle Beach, NC, in January 2019.

      Delete

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!