Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Featherweight Fun

I've been sewing up a storm this past week making some really beautiful things for my Featherweight. Oh what fun I've had!! I had already ordered two patterns (both digital downloads) from The Singer Featherweight Shop: The Featherweight Case Tote and the Mini Dresden Spool Pin Plate.
My main fabric was a fantastic deal at a local thrift store: 4 yards of 1930's style pictorial cotton quilting with ladies sewing and designing. All for $3.98. A perfect, stylish match for my 1935 Featherweight. After buying coordinating fabric I was ready to start the Case. I fussy cut pieces to take advantage of the sewing ladies on the fabric for the front and back case which meant I had to place the carrying handles "kiddywompass" instead of around the front and back.
And I used the fabric border of "labels" to machine embroider my name, Featherweight serial number and start date on the case lid.
Next I made the quilted sleeve for the folding bed. It's a great idea that protects the bed from the face plate screw when folded up to put the machine into the case. And it looks to pretty!
I took full advantage of the lady looking at a fashion magazine with her yellow fabric next to her.
There is a mat pattern included in the Case pattern, but I used my pattern and squared off the corners to match the style of the folding bed sleeve. There are six pockets: 3 tall ones (quilted fabric) and 3 smaller (vinyl).
Then there's the Mini Dresden Spool Pin Plate. It's so cute!!  It's to protect the finish of the machine from damage from the machine thread spools.
I can't wait to have some time to pull my baby out and sew on it with my stylish, new accessories!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!