Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Saturday, May 11, 2019

Antique "Toy" Machines

Who doesn't love a sewing machine? I do...I have 5 of them. Admittedly, that's a lot, but three of them are the same and getting old. If a motherboard goes on their computer (which can't be fixed now) I can always use it for parts. But I digress....

My collection of antique sewing implements includes five toy machines. I'm going to share two of them today. The first was my mother's machine and was made in Germany by Casige. It sews a chain stitch, and yes, I have sewn on it many years ago just for fun. The decals have worn, some of the metal is corroded, but I like it all the same. I'm guessing this one is about 100 years old.
The second one is somewhat of a toy but it was also used to repair clothing. When folks were taking the Grand European Tour they would pack one of these little babies into their trunk so they could repair anything while on their tour of many months. Pretty neat. This Singer is a hand crank and works quite nicely. It dates to 1920, maybe earlier. A clamp would be used to attach the machine to the table when in use to hold it steady.
Here's more eye candy. Last year I had the great pleasure to tour Harry Berzac's offices where he has an incredible international sewing machine collection. Below are two photos from that tour displaying just toy sewing machines.
 A wall of toy machines in Mr. Berzac's collection, each one identified and carefully labeled...
And the "Lilliputian" toy machine, c 1930, made in Germany, and it is a toy machine just about small enough for an American Girl doll.
Next time I will show you 3 more of my own toy machines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!