Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Thursday, January 31, 2019

January UFO

At the beginning of the New Year I pick out 2-3 unfinished kits from the UFO box to work on and hopefully finish. Heading off to Stitching' at the Beach two+ weeks ago I grabbed two old Unfinished Objects (otherwise known as UFOs) to work on when time permitted. I stuffed this one into a project bag...don't know when I took this class from Claudia Newton but it was several years ago.
The class was "A Script Monogram in Whitework". I had't done much of the work but then again there wasn't too much to complete either. The stitches used are Stem/Outline, Granito, Oval Granito Flowers with tiny Eyelets, Seeding, Trailing, Split Stitch Outline, Padded Stain Stitch, Chain Stitch, Wrapped Stem Stitch. There's a lot of stitches for such a small project!
The instructions call for a 12" pillow form, or a smaller one if making this as a ring bearer's pillow. I bought a 12" pillow form. But the embroidery looked lost in that expanse of white linen. So I decided to frame it with Swiss embroidered insertion. It looks lopsided in the photo...I must have taken the photo on an angle!
I cut off the fabric on each side of the trim and sewed the frame onto the linen with a fine zigzag going in and out of the entredeux holes. I chose a really nice Swiss embroidered edging for a ruffle and gathered up 3 yards of this yummy stuff and stitched it on. The back (already completed earlier) buttons closed with 3 pretty mother of pearl buttons. All it took was a quick seam around the square with the basted ruffles sandwiched in-between and it was done. Yeah....another UFO out of the box and into use!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!