Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Piping Dilemma

It's that time of year for me.....Easter outfits for the grandchildren. I love picking out the patterns, designs, fabrics and trims....putting the whole package together, choosing everything. It's always fun to dream....then the task and hard work begins. I drove to Chadwick Heirlooms in January with my list in hand, and it was a long list. I knew what colors to choose: something purple and floral for our oldest granddaughter, and definitely something yellow for the younger one. I'd chosen the patterns and designs from my stash, so at least I didn't have to decide on those at the store! It's hard to choose when you're faced with the wonderful selection that Chadwick's has and I had only a little time to do it.

I found a gorgeous floral lawn by Moda (their Regent Street line) that had plenty of the purple and pink that she loves, but also navy, pale blue yellow, coral and greens. Perfect to work the 21-row geometric smocking design on in three colors: purple, pink and blue. But the dress also has piping in a different fabric....dots. I found a perfectly matching purple fabric with small white dots, also by Moda.

There was a tiny little voice in the back of my head saying "Those white dots may not show up well when cut on the bias for the piping." But did I pay attention to that voice? no....I was in a hurry. The weather was turning bad and I had an hour-and-a-half drive ahead of me to get home with my purchases. So I bought the fabric for the piping. I was able to get all of the wonderful things on my list so off I went in the heavy rain, wind and thunder......

A few days later I cut out all of the parts and pieces for both dresses to get ready to start stitching them up while on a wonderful sewing retreat. Packed it all up and off I drove thinking I was going to get so far ahead on these dresses that I wouldn't have much more to do when I got back home four days later.

Then it hit me.....after I stitched the purple dotted bias strips together and made the piping...I should have listened to that small, little voice in the back of my head...my "Sewing Conscience". The piping wasn't going to work because the dots didn't show consistently along the piping strip....I was getting a solid purple strip, then a few dots, then more solid purple. Darn. Double darn.

So off I went to a local quilting store to find something that might match. Luckilythey had a fabric that was in the same tones as my floral fabric. I was disappointed I couldn't find a larger dotted fabric, but, hey, time is precious right now and I have to get these adorable dresses done so the granddaughter's aren't disappointed. Here's the fabric: it's a "heathered" purple with hints of the blue, navy and a pinkish purple. I think it makes a nice piping accent for the floral fabric.
So here's my advice for selecting a printed, striped or polka dot fabric for piping and bias binding: fold the fabric on the 45º line and lay your clear ruler on the fabric with the 45º  along the edge of the fold. Look at that edge to see how the pattern repeats as it would for piping or bias binding.
Do any stripes (if the fabric has any)  look odd or like a straight line? Do the dots show up evenly along the strip? Does one color show up more than the others? Is the fabric pattern an appropriate size and dimension for the whole project? Take a good, long look, listen to that little voice in the back of your head and THEN make your decision!

By the way, here's a photo of the completed dress for our oldest granddaughter. The pattern/dress is "Flora" from
Perfect Party Dresses, a wonderful book of 12 smocked and sewn party dresses. I think the purple piping compliments the overall design quite nicely, and our granddaughter will love it....and that's all that counts!

1 comment:

  1. Great advice on selecting fabric for piping. I would have thought those dots would have been adorable. The quilting fabric works quite well! Beautiful dress, can't wait to see the next one.

    ReplyDelete

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!