Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Friday, December 11, 2015

Shadow Cutting

I know you're thinking "What the heck is she talking about?" What is Shadow Cutting? That's my term for cutting out a multi-sized pattern on fabric and preserving the tissue pattern. I do like the multi-sized patterns because it gives me the flexibility I need when I spend the money for a pattern (especially for children's patterns). And they can get expensive nowadays unless you can pick them up on sale.

So exactly what do I mean? If the pattern has several sizes in it, and they are layered over each other, then I usually want to maintain the integrity of the pattern pieces (the Master Pattern). And I really don't want to trace each piece onto tissue paper, either, because that takes time that is usually in short supply. Here's how I do it:

First, after measuring and determining which size (or sizes) I need to use I pin my pattern pieces onto the fabric and place the pins inside the seam lines of the size I'm cutting out (in this case a boy's size Small).
I fold back any places like the hemlines,




or blended lines, in this case the side of the shirt front.


Then the real fun begins following along a curved line...the Shadow Cutting. I use the fingers of my left hand to follow along on the pattern piece, pressing it down slightly as I cut with the shears in my right hand. I can see through the tissue paper when it's pressed down by my left hand. It takes a little practice, and occasionally I have to trim a little after the initial cutting.

This technique, born of necessity, saves my patterns in tact so I can use the other included sizes later on. Here's the result from one of the curves on a shirt for my grandson. I nailed this one! Shadow Cutting is a great way to save your patterns, save time and make your sewing and stitching life a little easier!

1 comment:

  1. Susie.. I have tried it...not good at it!! but I feel your need to conserve patterns. I am guilty of buying multiples...on sale...cutting out but saving the cut lines and taping them to the 'middle' for later. lol You will have to demonstrate for me sometime!! Merry Christmas!!
    Karin

    ReplyDelete

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!