Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

A Balancing Act

Have you ever seen clothing that looked like it was off balance? Or too over-the-top? Or looks like it needs something to make it look better? I know I have. And as a designer I have to be very careful about what I add or not add to a garment....it's that balancing act. One additional design element can send a garment into hyperdrive...you're eyes don't know where to look (or not look).
Case in point is the sweet little baby dress I'm designing right now. I want the baby to wear the dress, not the dress wear the baby. So I have to consider every little detail on it. Like the fabric...it's a tiny 1/16" pink and white gingham, and some white batiste. If I had chosen a large (or even medium) sized print it would overwhelm the baby. Not good. I want to see the baby, not the dress.

Next I have to consider design elements. The little cast-on flowers on the bodices are petite and few. The design itself is light and airy. A heavy design would weigh down the look of the dress and really be out of proportion.

I like to add a little interest on the back of the dress. It looks really cute when Mom is holding the baby on her shoulder and you see some design interest on the garment back. It adds that special touch. But you don't want it to be too much. So I drew a smaller sprig of flowers (only two) with fewer leaves and embroidered them on the "corners" of the back bodice.

I chose tiny piping cord (Aunt Lydia's Crochet Thread, Size 3) and made Double Whipped Piping. See how tiny the cord is on the clear ruler in the photo? But it's in proportion to an infant! The piping is whipped with pink and green floche over the white batiste, a delicate look. By the way, the cord is available at large, chain craft stores.

The pattern, my Basic Yoke Baby Ensemble Pattern (View 3) is proportioned: small bodice, gently gathered skirt and cute little ruffle sleeves that aren't overwhelming. The trim is tiny, narrow Baby Tatting to add just the right touch. I usually make a separate slip, which is included in the pattern. It's nice to have one so any diaper designs don't shadow through the dress fabric. But this time I decided to make the slip a lining instead. And I wanted it to peek out from the piped hemline with a few, small flower sprigs showing on both the front and the back and tatting all around. Here's a photo of the completed design.
I'm happy with the overall design and balance. Any baby will look good wearing this...and the dress won't wear the baby.

2 comments:

  1. Your design is beautiful. Thanks for the advice. Well taken. I would love to see a post about the garment set you won recognition for at the Atlanta 2004? convention. It was a pink gown with a long robe done in a vintage style. That was my first experience with vintage and I have loved it ever since. Regards, Susan VH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good thought, Susan! I will have to think about how I would approach that one.

      Delete

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!