Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Monday, July 20, 2015

Herbed Croutons

Okay, I admit this isn't sewing and stitching. But I'm a Home Economist by trade and I do like to cook (just not every day for three meals a day). After raising two wonderful kids and having moved all over the U.S. and Germany, I learned a few tricks on how to save money on food expenses, and have good, nutritious food to eat. I like to make my own croutons. It's not hard. It saves money. I know what's in them because I put it there. And it's a great way to use up leftover pieces of bread including the heels. Don't get me wrong. I like the heels...toasted...with lots of real butter because the bread flavor is intensified in the loaf ends.

I start by saving whatever leftover bread, heels, biscuits, etc., I have in a zip lock bag in the freezer, occasionally adding to it. Whenever I get what I think is enough for croutons, and when I am cooking something else in the oven (in order to save $$ on utility expenses), I thaw out the bread on the counter. Out comes the big knife, cutting board, olive oil, lemon pepper seasoning and whatever herbs I want to use to make the most wonderful, crunchy, golden croutons.
So here's the recipe:

Herbed Croutons
Assorted breads, cut into bite-size cubes;
A good quality Olive Oil;
Lemon Pepper Seasoning;
Italian Seasoning, Herbs De Provence or a mixture of herbs of your choice.

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Put bread cubes into a bowl large enough to stir them in.
3. Add Lemon Pepper Seasoning. Add herbs.
4. Pour some olive over the cubes and herbs and start stirring right away to distribute the oil throughout the bread. Add more olive oil as needed but add a little at a time and stir. You want the cubes just barely touched with the oil, not soaked with it.
5. Pour out onto a rimmed cookie sheet in a single layer. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Check and stir them around, then bake for about 10 minutes more. Be careful because these will turn dark quickly, so check them often after the first 10 minutes. The timing also depends on the density of the breads. Take out of the oven and let cool.
Store in an airtight container.

Now you ask: how much of each ingredient? Well, that depends on how much bread you're using. You will need more seasonings than you think because some of it will end up as crumbs in the pan. I used dried basil (my own home-dried basil), parsley, dill, thyme and
oregano in this batch. So use your judgement and taste buds....but I bet you can't eat just one! These are also great as a snack with a glass of wine, or on top of a spinach salad.  Ummm...yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!