Life is indeed a stitch!
Berryhill Heirlooms and Susie Gay present techniques, heirloom sewing, hand embroidery and other musings. Come and join in the fun with Susie, a Home Economist, and savor a little rest from your hectic day...and yes, it's a Degree she uses every day!

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Designing a Project

I get my inspiration from many different sources to start a new project: books, photos, fashion and antique magazines, antique garments. Sometimes just a technique will trigger an idea for a project. Once that idea starts to foment in my brain I turn it over and over working out some of the details. I will even go to sleep thinking about the details, color selections and embroidery ideas. It sure beats counting sheep! But since I'm a very visual person (like most stitchers) I have to draw and write it all out. That's when I really get down to the nitty gritty details. There's something about drawing out the design idea on paper that helps me work out construction details and proportions. I always use a 0.5mm mechanical pencil...the cheap ones from the big box office supply stores. With a good eraser...always need that when I change my mind about something!

I have a notebook that I draw the ideas in....several notebooks over the years. These are a record of the ideas, the year when I drew them, maybe a listing of the supplies and yardage used, and even the design elements that I go on to use in the actual project. Unfortunately one of my most precious notebooks was left on a plane last year....oops. I miss that one, but that loss forced me to start anew and fresh.
Here is a really good example of working out a design for my grand daughter's Easter dress that I wrote about earlier. I was using a Children's Corner pattern so my drawing shows a couple versions of design details that I wanted to "try out" on paper.
The dress on the left is closest to what I actually made minus the idea of piping at the high waist seam (the scratched out line). The fabric was a beautiful floral, hence the scribbles. The collar embroidery was close to what I actually did. The right drawing shows an idea of using a pleated ribbon trim on the white pique collar. Glad I didn't do that one because it would have detracted from the wearer! But you can see how visually I worked out the details close enough to start construction instead of winging it as I sewed. Below is the collar embroidery design I decided upon which I actually used for the template.


I traced the collar piece front onto the notebook paper and figured out the placement allowing for the collar roll at the neckline.


Here's another more recent example:  my Infinity Christening gown. You can tell from the drawing I was trying to decide the order of the pin tucks, lace insertion and the serpentine design on the hem. I ended up with a different order but I had sketched enough to really get a good idea of the proportions. Look at the bodice on the actual dress below...it doesn't look anything like what I drew out, but that's the beauty of sketching it first. I could "see" it and decide I needed to change the design. 

Compare the drawing to the actual gown. Even the sleeves are different. I penciled in the serpentine design around the sleeve but decided one Infinity symbol was best on the sleeves to "match" the ones I decided to put onto the bodice. Drawing the ideas out helps the actual construction process by speeding it up (no spur of the moment decisions) and simplifies the entire process.

Try this technique on your next design project and see if it helps you. The drawing doesn't have to be fancy or perfect. I think you will find this organizes your thoughts and supplies before cutting into those precious, expensive materials!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send me your comments and thoughts..I would love to hear from you!